GovernanceCorporate Governance

Social commitment

A company that operates on a large scale knows that it has great responsibilities.

Italiaonline has an ethical responsibility – and not only economic – towards investors, customers, employees, the environment and the territory in which it operates, to create lasting value that grows over time, and to safely deliver to future generations. This Corporate Social Responsibility is part of the industrial and commercial choices made with the aim of minimising environmental impact, supporting Italy’s corporate culture and creating corporate awareness of equal opportunities. For this reason, each customer who chooses Italionline is involved in a major sustainability project.

Supporting the European Print Power project

The paper the volumes of PagineGialle, PagineBianche and Tuttocittà are made with comes largely from Scandinavian forests that are managed on a sustainable basis, to preserve and nurture the environment that produces oxygen and absorbs CO2, lowering the global level. We see to recycling our old phone books and printing new ones using 40% recycled paper. For this reason and continuing with the decade-long commitment of Seat Pagine Gialle, we are partners of the European “Print Power” project through two campaigns: “Print Power” and “Two Sides”, which promote the use of paper as a means of effective and sustainable communication.

“Print Power” Campaign

This campaign is an advertising initiative that supports the specific values of printed paper and its effectiveness. The campaign focuses on printed paper’s strength and complementary function with respect to communication online or on other media. Today, maintaining an integrated communication approach capable of adopting both online and off-line strategies is essential in order to guide consumers in a thorough and efficient manner. The “Print Power” campaign is aimed at those deciding on company advertising investments, media centres and advertising agencies.

“Two Sides” Campaign

“Two Sides – The green side of paper” is an informative campaign aimed at a broad target, and addresses the environmental sustainability of the paper industry. By invoking facts and figures, the campaign aims to overcome stereotypes such as the supposed adverse ecological impact connected to the use of this raw material. As a partner of “Two Sides”, we are committed to minimising the environmental impact of our opeartions, thus contributing to sustainable development:

    • we are committed to conducting our business in an environmentally and socially responsible manner
    • we support and champion forest certification systems and the recycling of cellulose fibre

 

  • we quantify and manage our environmental footprint by eliminating or minimising its impact on nature
  • we promote efficient collection and recycling systems to reduce (and in the future eliminate) the disposal of waste paper and printed material in landfills
  • we improve the sustainability of our business activities while minimising waste and the use of water and energy.

 

Environment and quality: for a conscientious use of paper.

We have a great respect for the raw material from which we were born: paper. We only work with manufacturers and printers who observe the strictest standards of quality and environmental certification. And when we have to choose the paper for our famous printed materials, we prefer lightweight paper. All this to ensure the high quality of the environment we live in.

Paper

For the creation of publishing products, we use paper and card produced by some of the leading paper manufacturers in Northern Europe with certified operational systems in quality management (ISO 9001) and environmental management (ISO 14001 and EMAS).
The paper used for telephone directories contains an average of 40% recycled fibre, while the remaining 60% comes from cellulose obtained from forests managed according to PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes) and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) standards.

Requirement-containment

Regarding the requirement to limit the use of natural raw materials, the Italian PagineGialle and PagineBianche have played a leading role in Europe for directories using lightweight paper: since 1995, the phone books have been respectively printed on 32 and 34 gr/sq.m. paper.

Printing

As regards printing, all production is carried out with printers bearing ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications. Great attention is given to the management and recycling of used directories: for many years, in fact, we have carried out house to house collection of used directories and forwarded them to the paper mill for the production of new raw material. Alternatively, depending on the area, the parent enters into agreements with leading local consortia and, thanks to citizen-focused publicity campaigns, the old directories are disposed of in a separate waste collection.